A Complete System
Insulslab is a complete BBA certified system, based on a type of raft foundation which comprises a series of interlocking expanded polystyrene pods, forming a substantially rigid ‘waffle’ shaped slab. Steel fibre reinforced concrete (SFRC) is poured over the top to form the finished foundation. The steel fibres are manufactured in the UK by ArcelorMittal.
Expanded polystyrene pods provide a number of inherent benefits:
- Excellent thermal characteristics – U values as low as 0.1 w/m2k
- Durable – will last the life of the building
- Green Guide A
- Easy to handle
The steel fibre reinforced concrete, when correctly installed and in accordance with the recommended grade and slump characteristics, provides many performance benefits:
- Excellent impact strength
- Maximum edge protection
- Improved fatigue endurance
- Reduced shrinkage and a higher level of crack control
- Greater bearing capacity
- Steel fibres do not damage power floats or concrete pumps
The Insulslab system, using AcelorMittal Steel Fibres within the steel fibre reinforced concrete mix, is BBA certified (BBA Certificate 09/4677) and is accepted by the NHBC / LABC and Premier Guarantees.
ArcelorMittal is the only steel fibre manufacturer with a production facility in the UK and the worlds largest steel producer, with a total of 116 million tonnes of crude steel produced annually.